Wausau Country Club, is a Private, 18 hole golf course located in Schofield, Wisconsin.
The Wausau Country Club was organized on July 15, 1899. The grounds were the commons, then lying northeast of the city. The original course had 9 holes and was used for several years. The growth of the City of Wausau and the subsequent addition of these commons resulted in the need to establish the course in a new location.
In September 1908 a site just four miles south of the City of Wausau, was purchased. The work on a new 9 hole course was started the following spring. The nine holes measured 3250 yards and played to a par 37. The clubhouse was built in 1910 and furnished at a cost of $8,000.00.
In the 1940's there was a rising need for funds to further develop the property, and this need eventually led to the birth of the Wausau Golf Club, Inc. The Wausau Country Club was a Wisconsin corporation organized for profit. Now a new corporation the Wausau Golf Club, Inc was organized.
In May of 1959, a special meeting of the membership was called to discuss a expansion specifically, the actions needed to begin construction of a second nine holes. The Board of Directors voted to go ahead with the program, so that playing on an 18 hole golf course could begin in July 1960! Golf course architect Paul Coates of St. Paul, MN was hired, along with E. L. Packard of La Grange, IL, to prepare the plans for the second nine holes.
The Wausau Country Club golf course is today a par-71 layout.The course plays to a maximum distance of 6,388 yards for a course rating of 70.6 and a slope rating of 126.
In 1964, E. L. Packard was again hired to design and "reverse" the front nine. At the same time, a new clubhouse was designed. Work was started on the golf course and on the new clubhouse, with plans for completion set for early summer 1965.
The "new" golf course officially opened on August 14, 1965. A specially designed trophy commemorating this event stands in the trophy case in the Club today.
In the 1970s, the members opted for yet another golf course change in the front nine holes. Holes #2, #3 and #4 were reconfigured and an island that was owned by the club, but never used, was brought into play. The #2 hole became a par 4, the #3 hole became a par 3 and the #4 hole became a par 4. This changed the course par from 72 to 71, not making the course easier but more challenging.
In the 1990's further improvements were made, especially to the clubhouse facilities. Golf course architects were again called in to provide direction for the renovation of some of the holes, improvement of the sand traps, installation of cart paths and rebuilding of some greens. In September 1998, after designs were approved, contractors began work on a new clubhouse. By the spring of 1999, the building was completed enough to be put to use. The golf course officially opened on Memorial Day weekend May 29, 1999, with the current clubhouse still in use today.
Member (cart not included), played on Saturday, August 2009 at 6am
Have been a member since 1976....Love it. One plus is the fact that it is an easy walk compared to the other private club in the area where a cart is almost a must. Both are great courses but the fact that we can walk attracts many. Because it is over 100 years old, layout is not as challenging as newer courses but each hole is a new and different experience....not just back and forth. Lots of woods and some well placed water....part of Lake Wausau and WI River comes into play with a great view on many holes. One actually travels from island to island on some of the holes. A great value.
Latest Golf Course Reviews