San Angelo Country Club, is a Private, 18 hole golf course located in San Angelo, Texas.
San Angelo Country Club was established in 1920 when club founders Bernie Alexander, Dwight Hunter and C.C. McBurnett purchased the John Findlater Farm overlooking the Concho River for a little over $10,000. Bernie Alexander laid the plans for a nine-hole course. He went to work himself with a crew clearing the land of prickly pear and mesquite trees. The primitive course would have cottonseed hull greens for the first few years.
When the oil boom hit San Angelo in 1927 it was decided that another nine holes were needed. John Bredemus (associate architect for the Colonial in Fort Worth) was brought for the design. His designed the nine outside holes and revised the nine inside holes. The 18 hole course was in operation in 1928.
Par for the course is 71. From the back tees the course plays to 6,658 yards. From the forward tees the course measures 5,435 yards. The longest hole on the course is # 9, a par-5 that plays to 574 yards. The shortest hole on the course is # 10, a par-3 that plays to 169 yards from the back tees.
Watch out for # 5, a 376 yard par-4 challenge and the #1 handicap hole on the course. The easiest hole is # 10, a 169 yard par-3.
Latest Golf Course Reviews