Lupton City Golf Club is a public 9-hole golf course located in Chattanooga, Tennessee.
The course opened in 1939 and the clubhouse – featuring cedar posts to give it a cozy look -- opened in 1952.
In this era when most of the few new courses opening tend to be perfectly manicured and higher end, Lupton City Golf Club is a throwback to the sometimes more modest mid-20th century. That is when a lot of simplistic and inexpensive courses opened as the middle class began taking up the sport, too.
The course was initially built to serve the Dixie Mercerizing Co., workers who also enjoyed a company run movie theater and gymnasium.
Dixie Yarns mill workers used to be about the only ones who could play at the course, although they could bring a guest. However, preachers were always allowed to play there and a number of high school golf teams have used it as their home course over the years.
Among those who played there as a high school golfer was Gibby Gilbert of Central, who went on to a successful PGA Tour career that included a tie for second in the 1980 Masters.
The course has been open to the public since the 1970s.
Blue tees: par-35, 2,806 yards
White tees: par-35, 2,666 yards
Red tees: par-35, 2,419 yards
The course closed in 2018.
A group of investors bought the golf course land and surrounding property and plan to build a multi-faceted Riverton housing development there. The property is just a short distance north of the popular North Chattanooga, Riverview, Rivermont and Stuart Heights areas.
Latest Golf Course Reviews