Cedarbrook Country Club is a Private 18 hole golf course located in Blue Bell, Pennsylvania.
Today's Cedarbrook Country Club golf course first opned for play in 1962. The course was designed by William F. Mitchell. But there's a half century more of history to discover.
Cedarbrook Country Club golf course is a tight, hilly and tree-lined course. Water hazards coming into play on a number of holes. The signature hole is #12, a 502-yard, par 5, requiring an approach shot over water to an island green.
Par for the course is 72. From the back tees the course plays to 6786 yards. From the forward tees the course measures 5490 yards. The longest hole on the course is # 6, a par-5 that plays to 524 yards. The shortest hole on the course is # 16, a par-3 that plays to 160 yards from the back tees.
Watch out for # 14, a 476 yard par-4 challenge and the #1 handicap hole on the course. The easiest hole is # 6, a 524 yard par-5.
Today's Cedarbrook Country Club is a direct outgrowth of Stenton Country Club, founded in 1909. Golf was played on leased ground near Stenton Avenue and Washington Lane in the Chestnut Hill section of Philadelphia. Unable to renew its lease, in 1919 the club purchased a tract known then as Cedarbrook Farm. It was bordered by Cheltenham Avenue, Easton Road and Limekiln Pike.
A.W. Tillinghast designed the "new" course that opened for play on the 4th of July, 1921. In the late 1920s Donald Ross was commissioned to revise the Tillinghast design. By and large, the original routing plan was retained. But holes were lengthened, bunkering was made more stringent, and a creek brought more prominently into play. One of only two Philadelphia courses designed by the great Tillinghast now also bore the stamp of the great Ross.
In 1955, the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, as part of its highway program, acquired, through condemnation, 20.5 acres of Cedarbrook's land for use in construction of the Route 309 Expressway. In September, 1958, a resolution to sell the property for the specific purpose of relocation was passed by the membership. Four years later, in June of 1962, the present day Cedarbrook Course opened in the Town of Blue Bell.
In 2003 the membership approved and completed a 2.5 million dollar renovation of its Mitchell designed golf course.
$101 (cart not included), played on Friday, April 2010 at 10am
Excellent Course. A walk in the park. No roads or houses.
Latest Golf Course Reviews