McAlester golf course first opened for play in 1911. Authur Jackson designed what is now called the "original nine" of the McAlester Golf course. He came to Oklahoma in 1907 from Scotland. In 1912, he became the assistant pro at the Tulsa Golf and Country Club. This was a few years after he designed three Oklahoma golf courses including the McAlester course. The golf course was ready for use in 1911, the first year the club was in operation.
The holes of the original nine stand much like they did when Jackson designed it. Some of the fairways have been lengthened and some have been shortened. Sand greens were used in the first 15 to 20 years, but later in the 1920's bermuda grass was put in by inmate labor from the Oklahoma State Penitentiary. The Inmates would come early in the morning for work. The club would feed them their noon meal and they would work until late evening. Let's hope no one had a "failure to communicate."
The McAlester Country Club golf course plays to 6,037 yards from the back tees. Par for the course is 70. The course rating is 69.8 with a slope rating of 125.
Latest Golf Course Reviews