Hobbs Country Club first opened for play in 1937. Hobbs was a young and growing community in the 1930's. A group of 30 people decided they wanted to provide recreational facilities for the people in the Hobbs area. In May 1937, James M. Murray went to Santa Fe to purchase state land for the purpose of building an airport and country club. He purchased 323.40 acres at $5.00 an acre. The property was divided with Hobbs Country Club purchasing 160 acres of the land at cost. On May 24, 1937 a meeting was held at Hobbs High School by citizens of Hobbs to organize what is now known as the Hobbs Country Club. The golf course was completed by December of 1937.
Originally Hobbs Country Club was a nine hole course. The first nine holes developed are today known as the back nine of the golf course. The course was not irrigated so the fairways were native grass and caliche. The putting surfaces were sand, when caddies or players reached the putting surface they would use a rake to smooth the sand toward the putting cup.
In May of 1958 nine new holes were completed making Hobbs Country Club an 18 hole golf course. The new holes and redesign of the origials was hanled by Warren Cantrell. Over the years, many changes were made to the course and clubhouse. In addition to 9 additional holes, the greens became grass rather than sand, sand bunkers were added as well as many trees for beautification.
This can be a sneaky course because the yardage is deceiving. Most holes appear further than their yardage indicates. The Hobbs Country Club golf course measures 6,627 yards from the tips and plays to a par-72. The course rating is 71.8 and the slope rating is 121.
Member (cart not included), played on Saturday, January 2011 at 10am
Have been a member for 30 years and play on average twice weekly. course is improving monthly. Guests are always welcome.
Latest Golf Course Reviews