Newport Golf Club is a Semi-Private, 18 hole golf course located in Newport, New Hampshire.
The course first opened in 1921 as a nine hole course designed by Willie Park Jr. The original Willy Park Jr. 9-hole design remained intact for nearly 70 years with only minor renovations.
In 1965, upon the death of course superintendent John Cain. the course was renamed The John H. Cain Golf Club. John was the also the grandson of Dr. Cain, one of the courses' founders and on whose land a large part of the course was built.
The course remained a 9-hole venue until 1991. In 1988 members passed a motion to purchase additional land adjacent to the club from George Catsam to expand and become an 18-hole course designed by Phil Wogan. In May 1991, the new course was opened.
In March 2003, the club was sold to John and Nick Catsam, sons of the late George Catsam and previous landowner of what was to become the back nine. Under new ownership, the name was restored to the Newport Golf Club in an effort to better associate the club with the town.
Areas of the course were carved out of a forest of mature pine, hemlock, oak, maple, cherry and white birch, while other sections were built on open pastureland. Water hazards come into play on nine holes. The back nine has tighter fairways than the front nine.
The finishing hole, a 527-yard, par 5, is one of the best. This hole features a dogleg right fairway with a pond bisecting the second half of the hole. Players must carry over the water on the approach to the well-bunkered green.
Latest Golf Course Reviews