Golf courses Illinois Bloomington Bloomington Country Club

Bloomington Country Club

605 Towanda Ave, Bloomington, Illinois, 61701
Type: Private
No. Holes: 18
309-829-6166
Architect: William Langford (43)
                       Larry Packard (76)
                      
Bloomington Country Club, Bloomington, Illinois, 61701 - Golf Course Photo
Add Course Image

About Bloomington Country Club

Bloomington Country Club is a Private, 18 hole golf course located in Bloomington, Illinois.

Bloomington Country Club traces its beginnings to 1896 when golfers established the Bloomington Golf Club after sinking tomato cans in Lillard's meadow, which is now the site of Bloomington High School. In the spring of 1897 the group decided to move south to Houghton's Lake, which is now the site of State Farm Park. There they established themselves and laid out a lakeside golf course. The Bloomington Golf Club thrived in this location over the next five years. In 1902, the members approached George Perrin Davis about his property, "Bellemont", which was just across the road from Lillard's Meadow. Bellemont had been built in 1869 and named after his daughter, Mary Belle Henry. The Davis' had moved and were willing to lease the house and the 52 acres south and east of the home to the Golf Club. The Club leased Bellemont and moved in during March of 1903.

The spacious residence was converted into a clubhouse and a nine hole golf course later was laid out on the estate. Bellemont gave the Club a permanent home with the space needed to develop a quality golf course and a place to get together with other members.

Fire destroyed "Bellemont" in 1929 taking down the historic landmark in a mater of minutes. The building was fully insured, but the loss was much more than financial. Bellemont had been home to the club for 29 years. A week long $100,000 expansion drive was held in the autumn of 1929. The goal was to supplement the insurance settlement from the fire and finance a new club house and swimming pool Although the additional nine holes wouldn't be added until 1941, the club was already making plans. Negotiations for the sale of 52.5 acres of adjacent land began in August of 1940 to build an additional nine holes and was completed and dedicated August 29, 1941. The 18-hole layout was designed by William Langford. The course's design has been well thought out and well maintained. The fairways are narrow and lined with trees. The greens are small, and sand bunkers come into play on numerous occasions. Larry Packard redesigned this course in 1970.

Golf was the motivating force behind the foundation of Bloomington Country Club and it has been a continuously growing sport during the decades that have followed. Bloomington Country Club hosted the Illinois State Men's Amateur Championship seven times (1943, 1953, 1975, 1983, 1991, 1997, & 2009), the Illinois Open in 1980 and the Illinois State Women's State Amateur Championship five times (1944, 1957, 1972, 1977 & 1989).

Par for the course is 71. From the back tees the course plays to 6,407 yards. From the forward tees the course measures 5,841 yards. The longest hole on the course is # 6, a par-5 that plays to 559 yards. The shortest hole on the course is # 12, a par-3 that plays to 155 yards from the back tees.

Watch out for # 6, the 559 yard par-5 challenge is the #1 handicap hole on the course. The easiest hole is # 12, the 155 yard par-3.

This course has not yet been ranked
No golfers comments
N/A/5
Based on 0 review
Discussion about this course
No User Comments