Tamarack Country Club, is a Private, 18 hole golf course located in Greenwich, Connecticut.
Tamarack golf course opened in 1929. The course was designed by Charles H. Bank. The par 71 layout plays to a maximum distance of 6,834 yards for a course rating of 72.9 and a slope rating of 126.
Tamarack Country Club was originally organized as the Port Chester Country Club in 1909. Located on the present site of the Port Chester, New York High School, it was a nine hole course until the summer of 1925 when an additional nine hole course was added. During the initial years the fairways were maintained by the judicious employment of a flock of sheep.
In 1928, the club moved from its' Port Chester location because of the desire of the town to purchase the land for a new high school. The $242,000.00 realized on the sale made it possible, to buy the Griffen Farm holding on Locust Road in the verdant back country section of Greenwich, Connecticut.
Thus began the illustrious history of the present Club. Named after the many Tamarack trees that are indigenous to the area, the course was designed by Charles H. Banks, also well known for laying out the fine Yale course in New Haven, Conn. The first, second, fifth and seventh holes were fashioned through dense woods and evidence of this effort is clearly reflected by present day terrain features.
The Tamarack course was, from inception, nationally recognized as one of the finest and most rewarding to play in the entire country. Its charm stems from a layout utilizing, to maximum effect, the rolling but not severe hills and natural countryside of its 500 feet above sea level elevation. The surrounding pristine ridges and tree-laden valleys, and the virtually uncluttered skyline, all combine to insure a peaceful, tranquil setting. In a fast-growing suburban area, this combination is hard to duplicate.
Over the years, updates have been an on-going process. In 1967 a fire destroyed the stately 1929 clubhouse. An era had come to and end.
Tamarack's second 20th century clubhouse was built on the site of the existing foundation at an estimated cost of $1,400,000.00, it encompasses all the features and refinements necessary to make it a showcase of outstanding, tasteful country club living. The Olympic size pool and cabana were moved to a carefully selected area away from the main building. They were completed and opened for use in the fall of 1968. The main Clubhouse was ready for occupancy in the summer of 1969. From the vast porch area completely surrounding three quarters of the Club, the present day Tamarack member is able to see his beautiful course.
1909 was the year it all started. In 1929, certainly a time when courageous men would undertake a risk adventure, Tamarack built a new Clubhouse. Forty years later, in 1969, Tamarack again obliged to build a new clubhouse-and face the uncertain future with the same unwavering faith those few men did when they started years ago in the Port Chester meadowlands.
Latest Golf Course Reviews