Ridgewood Country Club Golf Course was designed by Devereaux Emmet. The course opened for play in 1920. The course was rennovated by Geoffrey Cornish in the 1960s and Roger Rulewich in 2002.
Devereaux Emmet's estimate for building 18 playable holes was $1,000 a hole. But that total did not include the removal of the stone walls that covered the property like a spider web. Only those that crossed the fairways were slated for removal in the original estimate. The course's condition was a bit rough for the first few years, but as money became available, the stone walls were gradually removed using only crowbars, two horses and a stone boat. It was a job that took many years. Nine holes - those that now comprise the second nine - opened for play in 1921. The other nine holes were completed in 1922. The back nine was played as the first nine until 1924, then changed to the second nine because it was longer by 300 yards and much harder to walk.
Every type of golf hole is found here: blind holes, demanding doglegs, water holes and more. All are configured to delight and challenge the weekend player and professional alike. Broad fairways with fast and true greens help offset strategically placed bunkers and natural hazards. The course is criss-crossed by a meandering stream.
Ridgewood Country Club is a private, members only country club located on the west side of Danbury.
Blue tees: par-71, 6,554 yards, 72.5 / 138
White tees: par-71, 6,250 yards, 70.9 / 135
Red tees: par-72, 5,403 yards, 72.0 / 125
Latest Golf Course Reviews