Northeast Harbor Golf Club is a Semi-Private 18 hole golf course located in Northeast Harbor, Maine.
The Northeast Harbor Golf Club was organized in 1895. The new 9 hole golf course was laid out in August, 1899 by J.G. Thorpe. Much of the course lay on what was Corson's Farm, with the clubhouse sited approximately where Millbrook and Manchester Roads intersect. Some of the holes were across from Somes Sound, the only fjord on the North American east coast.
Todays course dates to 1916 when Northeast Harbor Golf Club Corporation was formed to buy land for a permanent golf course. The first 9, holes 1-6, 13-15 were designed by Arthur Lockwood. As golf became more and more popular, the corporation offered another stock sale and rasied the money to buy more land for an additional 9 holes. The second 9 opened in the summer of 1925 was designed by Herbert Strong.
The Northeast Harbor Golf Club presents to the golfer the best of all worlds â€” 13 magnificent wooded holes surrounded by thousands of trees and 5 traditional links-style holes, significant elevation changes and small greens set amongst unrivaled beauty.
During World War II, the back-9 was allowed to return to nature due to a lack of finances. The holes remained only a memory until the mid-1970s, when six of the 9 were cleaned up. For many years, the course featured only 15 holes. Eventually, the other three holes were restored through the donations of some of the summer residents and the hard work of some year-round residents.
Par for the course is 69. From the back tees the course plays to 5,430 yards. From the forward tees the course measures 4,540 yards. The longest hole on the course is # 9, a par-5 that plays to 503 yards. The shortest hole on the course is # 6, a par-3 that plays to 127 yards from the back tees.
Watch out for # 4, a 445 yard par-4 challenge and the #1 handicap hole on the course. The easiest hole is # 14, a 187 yard par-3. The course has significant elevation changes, very small greens and natural beauty.
Latest Golf Course Reviews