Lake Charles Country Club as we know it today first opened for play in 1956. The course was designed by Ralph Plummer.
In the early 1930â€™s, the clubhouse and property owned by 30 bondholders who defaulted in the mid-30â€™s, Mr. C.B. Noble, Sr., and Mr. W.A. Conover formed the Country Club Land Company with 30 local businessmen and assigned the property to the new company. The company rented the property to the Lake Charles Country Club, which operated the Club until 1946.
In 1946, the Lake Charles Golf and Country Club was organized by 200 members. The Country Club Land Company assigned the title of the property to the new Club at this time for $27,000.00.
The Lake Charles Golf and Country Club rented property across Country Club Road in 1946 on a 10-year lease, constructed an additional 9 holes and remodeled the Clubhouse. Remnants of the old green across the pond can still be seen at the crest of the hill. For reasons that are now a part of the folklore of the Club, the lease was not renewed, but the Club raised sufficient funds to buy the land across Prien Lake Road. The existing seven holes, numbers 6-12, were constructed, play began in 1956. Hole numbers 1 and 2 were converted to todayâ€™s par 5, which some say is the most difficult starting hole in the world. Sixteen was built partially on land acquired in a swap for 75 feet on the Lake.
In 1964, the Lake Charles Golf and Country Club changed its name to the Lake Charles Country Club.
This old, traditional course was recently redesigned by Jeff Blume. The course plays alongside Lake Charles.
Lake Charles Country Club plays to 6,656 yards and a par of 72. The course rating is 72.2 and the slope rating is 128.
Latest Golf Course Reviews