Canton Golf Course, previously named Canton Country Club, is a Public, 18 hole golf course located in Canton, Illinois.
Canton Country Club first opened for play in 1912. This was a bold venture, because the game of golf was still relatively new in downstate Illinois. At the time, just one golf course had been built in Peoria, and only a few in Chicago. In May 1912, a contract was given to build the clubhouse, and the grand opening was held on New Year's Eve with over 200 in attendance. A 9-hole golf course was also laid out and constructed in 1912. Hole No. 1 played across the lake on the west side of the road, with the other eight holes on the east side.
On Nov. 21, 1965, the membership voted to purchase Jesse and Stella Fisher's 60-acre farm, adjoining the course on the north, and the course expanded from nine holes to 18 holes.
Par for the course is 71. From the back tees the course plays to 6172 yards. From the forward tees the course measures 4814 yards. The longest hole on the course is # 16, a par-5 that plays to 563 yards. The shortest hole on the course is # 10, a par-3 that plays to 136 yards from the back tees.
Watch out for # 5, a 402 yard par-4 challenge and the #1 handicap hole on the course. The easiest hole is # 17, a 299 yard par-4.
Having survived for almost 100 years, Canton Golf Course closed in 2011.
Latest Golf Course Reviews