The Lake Waramaug Country Club golf course can trace its' roots back to the opening of a four hole golf course in 1898 on area occupied by the present day course.
The property leased from Edward Gustaveson contained the old Hitchcock race track, the remains of which are all too well-known to those who have since played golf on what their deed calls "High Ridge". The earliest records indicate that the Golf Club was orgainized in 1903 when the course was extended to nine holes, all southerly of the present road which divides the Club property.
Even before the inception of the Golf Club, the Lake Waramaug Yacht Club was a most active organization with motor boat and sailing races, water sports and regattas. Its social Headquarters were in a leased boat-house, known later as the Felt Cottage.
On July 4, 1916, at a joint meeting of the two Clubs, it was decided to join Forces and to organize a Club to be known as The Lake Waramaug Country Club.
The course and Club remained active until the propert was abandoned during World War II. Without revenue their were no funds to pay taxes, interest or to maintain the properties. Club membership dropped to six persons when gasoline rationing and other war measures made it difficult to use the Club. In two years the greens were completely destroyed; the fairways had reverted to hayfields; the tennis courts had gone to seed and the Club House and other buildings were in desperate need of repairs.
Two of the original Club families met again in 1944 to consider the Future. With the end of the war in sight, it was agreed that the stockholders should double their investment and then invite others from the nearby communities to join in the refinancing, reorganizing and rebuilding of a family club to serve as a social, recreational and community center. Mr. Graham M. Brush was elected President of the Corporation; its capital was increased and a basic pattern was agreed upon for future operation. The plan contemplated moving and redesigning all buildings with the Club House to be on top of the ridge. An artist neighbor, John Zamotin, painted two water colors showing the proposed layouts. These paintings are today among the prized possessions of the Club and were invaluable in helping many persons to visualize what was contemplated.
By Christmas 1944 the Club House was on top of the ridge. In September 1945 the annual meeting was held at the Club. In June 1946 the Club House was officially opened..
Except for WW II the course and club have been going strong and look forward to their 3rd century of golf along the shores of Lake Waramaug.
The Lake Waramaug Country Club golf course is a challenging layout where the rough makes for difficult shots. There are a variety of fairways ranging from open to tight, and the greens are medium in size and fast in speed. The hilly terrain is not too difficult to walk.
Blue Tees par-35, 3,128 yards, 34.95/124
Red tees: par-36, 2,671 yards, 36.35/128
Latest Golf Course Reviews