Tull moved to Canada in 1907 and to the United States in 1914. Alfed began his career with his brother William J. Tull in a construction firm that supervised the building of courses for golf architects Walter Travis, A.W. Tillinghast, and Devereux Emmet. The Tulls also handled a couple of course designs of their own
In 1924, Alfred Tull joined with Devereux Emmet as a design associate and became a full partner in 1929 in the firm Emmet, Emmet and Tull. Following Emmet's death in 1934, Tull started his own business as a course architect.
Tull had the ability to walk the land and envision the routing and holes without the aid of a map. Once finished, Tull would transfer the course from his mind to topography maps, which were then used by the construction crew in building the course.